If you have lost one or more teeth, you may have considered dental implants. Dental implants are a popular choice for those who are looking for a long-term solution to missing teeth. Here is everything you need to know about dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a popular option in cosmetic dentistry. They are artificial tooth roots made of titanium, a biocompatible material that is easily accepted by the body. These implants are placed in the jawbone, and once they are anchored, a replacement tooth or bridge is attached to the implant. This treatment is a great way to restore missing teeth because the implant looks and functions like a natural tooth.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two types of dental implants: endosteal and subperiosteal.
- Endosteal implants are the most common type of dental implant. They are placed directly into the jawbone and are typically made of titanium.
- Subperiosteal implants are placed on top of the jawbone and are used for patients who do not have enough bone height to support an endosteal implant.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The dental implant procedure is typically done in several stages. The first stage involves the placement of the implant into the jawbone. Once the implant is placed, it needs time to heal and fuse with the bone. This process can take several months. Once the implant has fused with the bone, a connector is attached to the implant. This connector, also called an abutment, serves as a base for the replacement tooth or bridge. The final stage involves the placement of the replacement tooth or bridge onto the abutment.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer several benefits over other tooth replacement options, including:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and function like natural teeth, which can improve your overall appearance.
- Improved speech: Missing teeth can affect your speech. Dental implants can improve your speech by replacing missing teeth.
- Improved comfort: Dental implants are more comfortable than dentures, which can slip and move around in the mouth.
- Improved chewing ability: Dental implants are anchored in the jawbone, which allows for better chewing ability.
- Long-term solution: Dental implants are a long-term solution to missing teeth. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
Caring for Dental Implants
Caring for dental implants is similar to caring for natural teeth. You should brush and floss your teeth regularly and visit your dentist for regular checkups. You should also avoid smoking and limit your consumption of sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implants can vary depending on several factors, including the number of implants needed and the type of implant used. In Canada, dental implants can cost between $1,000 and $5,000 per tooth. Some dental insurance plans may cover the cost of dental implants, so it is important to check with your insurance provider.
Dental implants are a popular option for those who are looking for a long-term solution to missing teeth. They are made of titanium and are placed in the jawbone. Caring for dental implants is similar to caring for natural teeth, and the cost of dental implants can vary depending on several factors. If you are considering dental implants, speak to your dentist to determine if they are the right option for you. If you have missing teeth and are considering dental implants, speak to your dentist to determine if they are the right option for you. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime and improve your overall appearance and quality of life. Contact us today to learn more about cosmetic dentistry and schedule a consultation.